Fort Worth firefighters are crediting smoke detectors for saving a man and his two daughters Tuesday on Stella Street.
Firefighters said there have been a couple incidents this year in which smoke detectors alerted occupants to a fire in their homes.
See the FWFD press release below.
-- Bill Miller
"A father and his two adult daughters were able to safely evacuate their home when a fire occurred shortly before 1 p.m. The house, located in the 1200 block of Stella Street, sustained heavy damage from fire and smoke that spread quickly. The family has lived in the house for nearly thirty years.
"The Fire Department was dispatched at 12:51 p.m. to a report of a structure fire at the referenced address. When Engine 5 arrived approximately two minutes later, they reported heavy smoke showing from a one story, single family, residence. Fire crews immediately began extinguishment activities and made an interior attack on the fire. It took nearly twenty minutes to bring the fire under control.
"The father and one of his daughters said they were going about their normal routines when "all the smoke detectors" started sounding. They found a rapidly growing fire near the back area of the residence and were able to get out of the house. The family indicated they had only recently had the smoke detectors installed and were thankful they did. They family wondered if they would have been able to get out if they did not have working smoke detectors in the home.
"In all, 11 people have been saved by smoke detectors this year in Fort Worth. One recent incident occurred last month on E. Tucker Street, which is only two blocks away from today's incident.
"The Fort Worth Fire Department urges all residents to be sure they have at least one working smoke detector at home. Fort Worth residents who cannot afford a smoke detector may request one from the Fire Department by calling 817-392-6862."