Lots of jobs on display at Fort Worth Chamber's Job Links Excelerator
Attended today's monthly meeting of the Fort Worth Chamber of Commerce's Job Links Excelerator, an invite-only meetup between employers who have job openings, and organizations that have pools of job candidates. If you caught any of DFW JobLog's tweets (JScottNishimura is my Twitter feed), you know there were some interesting opportunities on display:
* Omni Fort Worth Hotel, the AFC hotel for the Super Bowl, is filling a lot of positions heading into the Super Bowl and next year.
* CLC, Inc., clcinc.org, has secured a grant to help train war veterans (Persian Gulf to more recent) in jobs.
* The Fort Worth Housing Authority is holding a job fair, 10 a.m.-1 p.m., Nov. 19 at the authority's Administration Building. You don't have to be on housing assistance to attend; 75 percent of participants at this Spring's fair were not on assistance, a housing authority representative told the Job Links group. The authority was expecting 500 participants this Spring, and got 900.
* JPS Health Network says it has a "couple hundred jobs" that are open, ranging from entry level posts that require a high school diploma or GED, plus some computer proficiency such as in Microsoft Word, to others such as nurses.
* The Alliance Opportunity Center in the Alliance Corridor says it has posted openings for BNSF, Motorola, Kroger, Wells Fargo, and a food distributor, among others.
* The Stockyards Championship Rodeo, which runs rodeos Friday and Saturday nights, is looking for concessions workers. And because the weekend and night work leads to a lot of turnover, the rodeo doesn't do background checks or drug tests. It's looking for people who like interacting with others, and prefers a high school diploma or GED. Perks: Free rodeo shirt and laundering, all the tickets to Billy Bob's Texas events you want, and an opportunity for extra hours with special events and the Super Bowl coming up. All you need's a pair of blue jeans. Applications available at the coliseum office. The rodeo also is looking for bartenders and will pay to get the appropriate certifications for its chosen candidates.
* Others promoting job openings: American National Bank of Texas (customer service), Aflac (district sales coordinator), Air Rite (sales reps, someone to do "heavy bookkeeping"), Buehler Cos. of Texas (sales rep, laborers), Bell Brothers Moving (laborers, packers, drivers), Creative Memories (independent consultants), Edward Jones Investments (50 agents in the DFW region), Farmers Insurance (independent agents), Goodwill Industries (retail workers, including staff for a soon-to-open Lake Worth store), MillerCoors (team leaders, plant sanitation, microbiologist, parttime chemist), SafeHaven of Tarrant County (billing/accounts receivable manager, case managers, client advocate, shelter cook), and Wells Fargo (Westlake call center staff).
- Scott Nishimura, jobs and workplace reporter, Star-Telegram