Fort Worth hospital plans new emergency center
Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Fort Worth said Wednesday it will break ground Thursday on a new $57.7 million emergency care center that will better meet the growing needs of patients in the Fort Worth area.
The three-story, 75,000-square-foot emergency department, to open in fall 2013, is one block south of the hospital’s current emergency center, connected to the hospital by an elevated walkway, and "will nearly triple the square footage of the existing department and increase patient beds to 90 from the current 63."
“Our new emergency care center is a culmination of years of soliciting input from multiple city- and county-wide organizations in order to best create a facility that responds to the needs of our community,” said Dr. John Geesbreght, the hospital’s medical director of emergency services. “I believe Texas Health Fort Worth has done just that.”
The hospital said its emergency department cared for 97,309 patients last year and expects to treat 100,000 patients this year.
-- Jim Fuquay