Fort Worth schools officials expect hundreds of students and parents to learn about programs for specialty study at their annual Gold Seal Programs of Choice Expo this weekend.
It is a chance for families to find out about Gold Seal Programs of Choice and Schools of Choice, billed as "a private school education without the cost."
High schools offer courses in culinary arts, fire science, law enforcement, business marketing, aviation technology, engineering and medical art professions.
In middle school, Choices programs are offered that focus on college readiness, international studies and science and the arts. Elementary schools offer programs in orchestra, science, math and technology and in Spanish immersion.
Here's how the school district describes the initiative: "Simply put, students and their parents have the power of choice - the power to choose courses of study based on personal interests and passions; the power to take ownership in the education experience; and the power to be engaged in learning and excited about the future."
- Third annual Fort Worth ISD Gold Seal Programs and Schools of Choice Expo
- Wilkerson-Greines Activity Center, 5201 CA Roberson Blvd., Fort Worth
- 4 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 7 and 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 8
- View the Catalog
- Information: Advanced, Accelerated and Innovative Learning Dept., 817-814-2580
- Twitter: #FWISDgold
- Spanish/Espanol: Programas De Seleccion Con Sello De Oro Del Fort Worth ISD
Upcoming dates for Choices:
- Dec. 10: Choices applications available. Complete online or on paper
- Dec. 11-13 and 17: Presentations at high schools
- Jan. 11: Applications due by 5 p.m.
- Feb. 15: Acceptance letters mailed to students this week