Tunmire said today he was pranked by a friend who sent an email to the Star-Telegram Thursday from Tunmire’s Gmail account. The email announced Tunmire’s withdrawal from the race and support for challenger Gyna Bivens over incumbent Frank Moss.
“My office is here in my home,” Tunmire, a real estate broker who owns an East Side firm, explained this afternoon. “I had a friend over here last week, and she was sitting here and saw this email come in (from a Star-Telegram reporter), and she decided she was going to answer it.
“It’s part of the reason why she’s no longer a friend,” Tunmire said.
Tunmire said he discovered the problem Friday, after his withdrawal appeared in a Star-Telegram news account. He notified the paper Monday morning. Filing for city and school board races closed Friday afternoon, and candidates had until today to withdraw officially and not appear on the May 11 ballot.
Tunmire summarized his platform in a follow-up email to the Star-Telegram today:
“John Tunmire a conservative is a successful Real Estate broker, entrepreneur and veteran of the United States Army. John believes that the city of Fort Worth is missing out on a goldmine that would increase the tax base, employment and the economic development of Fort Worth. This could be achieved by developing a light rail system from downtown Fort Worth to downtown Dallas along the hwy 180 corridor. This development would pass near the stadiums and Six Flags in Arlington bringing tourist traffic into district 5 area spurring a huge development of hotels, restaurants and other supporting jobs.”
- Scott Nishimura, Star-Telegram Fort Worth City Hall reporter