« American's December passenger traffic rose 1.8 percent | Main | Southwest rolls out new frequent flier program »

January 05, 2011

Cuts in F-35 orders expected

BF-1 Short takeoff_March_17_10 Defense Secretary Robert Gates plans to cut orders for the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter over the next three to five years as part of broader plan to reduce Pentagon spending by $100 billion, the Star-Telegram is reporting in Thursday's newspaper.

Gates will brief Congress today on key components of a new five-year spending plan for the Department of Defense, including yet another restructuring of the F-35 program to compensate for repeated delays in development and testing.

Defense analysts said few details of Gates intentions have surfaced, but he is widely expected to announce cancellation of the Marines’ $13 billion Expeditionary Fighting Vehicle, another weapons program plagued by years of delays and rising costs.

Analysts said they also expect one or more other big ticket weapons programs to be targeted for axing as part of the 2012 budget proposal President Obama will send to Congress next month.

But the Pentagon will likely just scale back the number of F-35s it had previously planned to order from Lockheed Martin over the next few years to pay for continued development and testing.

- Bob Cox

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00d8341c2cc953ef0148c757efed970c

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Cuts in F-35 orders expected:

Comments

Henry Merbler

I believe the lack of performance makes a significant reduction in all F-35 aircraft a wise financial judgement.I beleive the test program should not be reduced , it is necessary to debug all systems and assure a reliable aircraft
Hank Merbler

Post a comment

Comments are moderated, and will not appear on this weblog until the author has approved them.

If you have a TypeKey or TypePad account, please Sign In.