AMR chief executive Tom Horton issued the following message to employees on Thursday morning after the carrier posted a $220 million profit for the second quarter.
Dear American Team:
Today, we announced our best second quarter financial performance in the company’s history and our first net profit for a second quarter since 2007. This was made possible thanks to the hard work and dedication of the entire American team, 73,000 strong around the world. Thanks to all of you, the new American is taking flight.
Our momentum is building as we plan for our impending merger with US Airways and we are making good progress on the approvals needed to complete the transaction. Just last week, US Airways shareholders voted overwhelmingly to approve the merger. And by the end of the month, our stakeholders are scheduled to complete their voting on the proposed merger.
This quarter underscores again how our restructuring and renewal is leading to a strong and successful new American. Here are some of the highlights:
· Reported a net profit of $357 million, excluding reorganization and special items, a $262 million improvement year-over-year, and a record second quarter
· Posted the highest passenger revenue for the second quarter in company history of $5.6 billion
· Continued our fleet renewal with delivery of nine Boeing 737-800s and three 777-300ERs in the quarter, for a total of 24 new aircraft, including six 777-300ERs, year to date.
· Strengthened our expanding global network with new service from our hubs to international destinations, including JFK-Dublin, DFW-Seoul, DFW-Lima, ORD-Dusseldorf, and from Miami to Milan, Martinique and Guadeloupe. We are also significantly adding new destinations from Los Angeles, including new daily non-stop to Sao Paulo.
· Opened Flagship Check-In for premium customers at JFK and today at Chicago’s O’Hare airport, which is our fourth airport to offer this unique customer experience
· Completed the successful rollout of our industry-leading Electronic Flight Bag program, making us the first to fully utilize tablets in all cockpits during all phases of flight.
Our teams also won several awards in the quarter including being named Best Cargo Airline of the Americas for the sixth consecutive year, Airline Loyalty Program of the Year (Americas) for AAdvantage for the second consecutive year by both the Freddie Awards and FlyerTalk, and a CLIO award for corporate identity design, making American the first airline to win this prestigious award for branding.
All across our company, the entire American team has remained focused on our customers and the jobs before us. I am proud of you rising above many challenges over the past year and a half. You have stood tall with the pride we all have in this great company and stayed focused on putting American back on top.
Thanks for a great quarter and for all you do!